Finally figured it out about DayZ ...

benevolentdevil
 Now I understand what the whole deal with DayZ and why public online servers bothered me.

 It's not just because of KOS , everyone is a bandit necessarily ...  the ultimate fail point of all DayZ is because it got treated like a glorified battle royale.

 But the mods, the standalone version even ... weren't ever really meant to be a battle royale type of game.

 They are supposto be a simulation/immersive "survive the infected" ... survival game.
 That aspect alone, really opened my eyes ...

Re: Finally figured it out about DayZ ...

Rachel-gamer(gaming and more).
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Finally figured it out about DayZ ...

benevolentdevil
Rachel, I'm very interested in a more "RP" like DayZ environment ...

 I have just never liked the stuffy whitelist "RP" servers with all the rules.

I also think , even those have the "10 year old mentality" ... in many ways too.  Or they did ...
 My first day on one ( I forget the server) , I was taken hostage, held prisoner for literally hours ... my "character" was subjected to torture , shot, battered ... and when the context turned to more ... sexual-borderline "rape" talk ... I OOC'd  " //I've had about enough of this childish and disturbing alleged RP, I don't feel comfortable with how this is going.  Let me go, or kill my character, I'm not participating in this situation anymore."

.... and Boom ... I'm banned ( temporarily) , for ... Not following the RP "realistically".

 I never went back to play there.

 I want more of a "story" ... I don't mind if there is confrontation, hard choices , or the occasional "bandit"  or bandits to deal with ... , I don't even mind getting killed, and having to spawn over ...
  But I think it'd be cool ... to do things like , the majority of Survivors are kinda trying to re-build/re-instate some sort of civilization.  Living in the infested towns, or out in the wilds ...
 In game "trading" as an economy ... not ACTUAL scripted Ai "traders" , no gold, ... no gems or money ... But things be worth, by how bad you need it or want it!

 Mostly vanilla DayZ play , I think ... hard to attain vehicles , lower end weaponry mostly ... ( there are quite a few low end weapons I really like using.)

 Maybe even some "towns" ... say like Stary Sobor , might even have some sort of civilians living there, trying to survive/thrive ... possibly even have an elected "sheriff" with a few "deputies" , and some form of "law" ( think more like wild west USA , just in the infected apocalypse lol.)

 It's just a thought really ... but thats more along the lines of what I'd like to see.

 Where the Majority is kinda working towards -something- better than what they have and thats how they play ...
 And only a few " bad apples" out there to make it interesting.

 Instead of everyone " in it for themselves" , or the majority of players being bad guys one way or another.

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Finally figured it out about DayZ ...

benevolentdevil
Well, DayZ has 4 flaws to it's approach -
1- the "survival" portions are un-realistic and over-exaggerated to an extent.
2- The "world" ( insert favorite map used) isn't "dynamic" enough.   Lets say for instance ... a large group of survivors get some gear, and basically take over a small town/villiage area ... it's not like they can just simply clear out the infected, fortify the town , place furniture around ... ect.
  Such things would have to be edited in, and coded ... which could take weeks to get in and "updated" ( debugging and hope nothing breaks ) , because of how Arma2 spawns in infected/zombies ... you'd never stop em from spawning in such places either really.
3- There's very little "cause and effect" going on , no consequences to doing bad things, or rewards for doing good things.
4- Most DayZ servers , even 100% vanillia ones have way too much "militarized" things in it.  Weaponry wise , and ammo wise ... I feel that ammo itself , if nothing else should be very difficult to find in big quantities, the more "military" the weapon, the more rare it should be to find ammo for.
 In regular public dayZ ... if bambi bandit "snipers" only could find one or two bullets for the "sniper rifles" , they might not just sit there and snipe from a camping distance continuously.
  The weapons no one likes to use much ( unless starting out ) , the loud ones ... the lower "civilian end" weaponry should be way more common/prolific , and ammo slightly more plentiful for those.
  I understand , the in-game "militaries" when the outbreak occurred were trying to combat the infected and quarantine or make last stands to get non-infected out ... so yeah some mil gear should be around ...
 But I would think most militaries would have used up the majority of thier ammo reserves and resources in doing so, ... not leave stuff with loads of ammo just laying around.

 I think kind of curbing back the arms capability, would go a long ways in dynamically changing how folks look at and play the game.
  While there could still be some PvP conflict ... and of course any weapon is a "threat" ... there is a vast difference in being armed to the teeth with m4s/Aks, even LMGs , DMRs, Sniping rifles ...
 Than having to make due with a revolver .45 ACP rounds, or a makarov , or a double barrel shot gun ... and mostly forcing "conflicts" to be a much closer ranges too.

 I play Airsoft here in the USA ... and I've noticed the same thing playing it.   It's become less a "hobby/recreation" to do, and became a virtual "arms race" , best guns, best gear, most competitive "edge" ... unrealistic ammo capacity , exaggerated simulated combat" ...

 and I have looked at both things from a "realistic perspective" many times over ... even though we have loads of guns in the USA , if SHTF ... if Infection/Zombies basically destroyed all infrastructure , civilization went bye-bye as we know it ...
  The MOST types of weapons we are going to find, and MIGHT have ammo for is civilian grade weaponry.
Military arms would be RARE finds, and since the military would have been combating the zombies/infected ... there would be less ammo to be had for such weapons , even if you did come across a dead GI-Joe sporting a mk16 , or a m4 cqb in his dead hands ...

 As it stands , especially in Arma2 mods ... , the system is supporting overly exaggerated means of having weapons and ammo , which in turn encourages players to not think of such as expendable resources, but as weapons to use on others ... if they run low or out, just go find more.
 That in itself makes it " to easy" to be a bandit ... theres no consequences to the actions of random killing people.  Got gear, use it up on others ... go find more spawns to re-supply , easy peasy.

 Or even worse ... the other "mods" made for DayZ, like Epoch/Over-poch ... further militarize the setting.  It was intended to be a more PvP "style" , and "easy mode" to get to locations, to gear, to weaponry ... so PvP battleroyale could take place ...

 When Epoch's greatest "achievement" in my opnion was "base building" ... if just the base building was included ... , no traders, no safe-zones , no gold/gems/money ...no quick to combat aspects ... it would have been a much better mod in my opinion.
  I also didn't quite like how epoch had "safes" or lockable things ... it made it to easy to horde up stuff , and keep it to be honest.
 But the concept ... could have been used more to fortify towns, fortify buildings ...  not so much as to build crazy huge towers of death, and places to securely house all that military loot and armed vehicles an army would be jealous of.  Small bases, or out-post would be fine ...
 But you also should have to be forced to find/collect the items to do so and craft em.  No easy-mode of going to a trader and buying parts or stuff.  No "building kit" finds or hand-outs ...

 I also think first person should be enforced ( except I hate driving in first person , lol) ... 3rd person perspective, is just flat out exploitable and ruins immersion by being able to "see " what you wouldn't by line of sight.

lol, if i had a team of modders/coders , a great engine to work with , and funds to basically re-do games in the genre'caliber of DayZ , Miscreated , ect ...
 I'd do it right , and re-work it all from the ground up.  Quality.

 It'd be one of the most top selling games of it's kind if my vision ever came to pass that is.

 I agree on PVE servers ... honestly the same is applied to PvP servers to ... too many "rules" that don't make logical sense, and keeps everyone in absolutely "no risk" zone ...

Re: Finally figured it out about DayZ ...

benevolentdevil
As far as "factions go " ... DayZ RP came very close to that what you described ... BUT the fail point was more of ... too many "rules" on how you could conduct yourself as always, and players lacked the imagination to put in intrigue and politics into the "survival aspect" ...

 It was basically a Faction based PvP, with "initiating contact" ... clans vrs clans mostly.  It was all about who was your enemy, and making enemies ... the un-imaginative side, for players lack of imagination, creativity, and desire to do anything but cause trouble or fight others.  every DayZ "game" is too focused around combat , for intrigue to be useful ... ( and lack of other players using common sense , and logical reasoning. )

 Even in those, if you played a "spy" ... you might get enjoyment out of it , if things worked out right/correctly.
 But no one else would even remotely pay attention enough to further it' s interest, or keep it going/growing ... first fire-fight with another group, it'd be all about the "revenge" , and glorified "king of the hill" ... a pissing contest at best, always.

At least , unless set up right/correctly ... that is.