Possible to remove zombies?

Acid44
Blasphemy, I know, but I was wondering if there's some way I could just disable all the zombie spawning, but keep the NPCs and all other features? Or maybe all of that, but also increase hunger+thirst rates and increase animal spawns or something? I'm only really interested in the survival aspects of the game, and the zombies are just a nuisance to me

Re: Possible to remove zombies?

Acid44
Ok, I figure a week is long enough to get away with a double post. Since I haven't gotten an answer on that specifically, would anyone happen to know of any modding documentation that might guide me in the right direction? I realised that I have a lot more ideas than just removing zombies. Now I just want to make my own Jericho-esque survival sim.

Re: Possible to remove zombies?

twsmith
This post was updated on .
Did you ever get a response?  I just wanted to say that a Jericho type mod sounds cool.  If you disabled the zombies and kept the survival features of daizy, as well as the friendly AI and obviously you'd have to bump up the hostile AI and car patrols and even establish hostile bases to raid.  I think one of the mods allowed for AI to pick up loot so you could implement that which would ratchet up the competition for resources.  You could have friendly communities as well as hostile communities and you could use the base building features and the recruitable AI to establish your own bases to defend areas rich in resources such as fuel or potable water or the areas where the best loot spawns.

I guess that's basically what Wasteland is attempting to do, but is it possible to have it offline with the ability to save your progress?

Re: Possible to remove zombies?

Haleks
There's actually multiple ways to do that.
What version of DaiZy are you guys using?

Re: Possible to remove zombies?

twsmith
Not sure, I play your factions mod which I believe was Daizy 1.8.0.3?  The one with the walking zombies and the car patrols, but sometimes I like to add more weapons or play on different maps so I play the breaking zero mods.

Lately I've been playing a lot of 2018 since you added the ability for zombies to attack AI but I'm really looking forward to you adding that ability to your factions mods. :)

@TWSmith - That's exactly what I was thinking. I ended up finding a few mentions of mods like what I was looking for, but all either dead or never existed in the first place.

@Haleks - No idea, I've gone through 4 hard drives since I posted that, so any install I had is thoroughly gone now

Re: Possible to remove zombies?

Haleks
Assuming that you use the newest dayz_code, here's a quick how to :

Use PBO manager to decompile the dayz_code; then go into Configs folder, and open the CfgLoot folder.
Open the CfgBuildingLoot.hpp file with a text editor. You need to set the following values for each building class :

                zombieChance = 0;
                minRoaming = 0;
                maxRoaming = 0;
                zombieClass[] = {};

Save, recompile the dayz_code into a new PBO file, and launch a new game.

I didn't test it but it should work all right.

EDIT : To make things more interesting, you guys can set the bandits to come across the player more often :
De-PBO the mission file you want to play, and go in scripts\mission\fnc.
Open the following files : doSomething_bandits, doSomething_banditSquad, doSomething_banditstwo
And look for this line : [_eastGrp, _pos, 250] call fnc_taskPatrol; or [_resistGrp, _pos, 250] call fnc_taskPatrol;
Change "_pos" to "getpos player".
Re-compile and prepare for gunfights! ;)

I'll have to give it a try, but I'm new to this.  Is the dayz_code file I want to open up in the @dayz folder?  Can I just make a copy of the @dayz folder and rename it and then edit the files in my renamed folder?  Sorry, just don't want to screw up the other mods I'm playing.

Thanks.

Re: Possible to remove zombies?

Acid44
Ok, just reinstalled everything and set up DaiZy Factions, with the mission with car patrols. So there should be cars around, right? Haven't seen any in the hour or so I was running around.

I'm guessing that getpos player part makes it drop baddies within 250 units of player, rather than spawning randomly?

Re: Possible to remove zombies?

Haleks
Acid44 wrote
Ok, just reinstalled everything and set up DaiZy Factions, with the mission with car patrols. So there should be cars around, right? Haven't seen any in the hour or so I was running around.

I'm guessing that getpos player part makes it drop baddies within 250 units of player, rather than spawning randomly?
Nope, putting getpos player in that line will not change the way they spawn, it modifies the position they will start patrolling. Since they can spawn quite far, it would increase chances to meet them.

And about the cars, I might add more of them, they migth be too few currently.

Re: Possible to remove zombies?

Acid44
Ah, gotcha. Might have to spend some time just driving around on the main roads or something to check out the car spawn rate.

The coding is pretty straight forward, though, so I may have a look through once I get my son to sleep and see if I can find anything interesting. Was thinking of finding a way to have small armed forces spawn around the small towns and hostile scavengers/friendly (not shoot on sight) explorers spawn at random.

Figured it out and got it to work with 2018 and Breaking Zero.  Have to figure out how to add a few more AI now and see if it's possible to add the epoch traders.

Re: Possible to remove zombies?

Acid44
There's traders?! I really need to start learning more about games before modding them.

Last night I spent a bit more time running around. Just basically spawned and APC and smashed around the cities. The AI spawning right now is pretty consistent with how I imagined it should be. Each time I went through a main city I saw 3-4 AI, some being survivors, some being angry citizens. But in that few hours I only saw one car patrol, and instantly overreacted in my newly spawned tank and destroyed them from 500m away. But anyways, definitely needs a bit more car patrols.

Re: Possible to remove zombies?

Acid44
Alright I've played a lot now. That was the last car patrol I've seen, even after playing another 12+ hours, and I'm always on the road. And I've decided that there's a bit too many AI at times. For example, last night I finally made it to the big airport, coming in from the East/North/East, about a km away I spotted a group of 3 baddies and got them, then as I got closer, there were 3 more around a little town I had to go through, and WAY too many to even bother fighting my way through as I got within about 500m of the barracks/hangars (I was on the other side of the fence in the open fields near the hangars/barracks). In total there were probably around 30 bandits in the area pretty much a group of 2 popping up each time the last group was killed, way too many for the desolate wasteland I had pictured.

Been looking through the scripts and I can't find anything that looks like it may control spawn rates of AI or cars. I've looked through all the stuff in the mission .pbo, which I think is where the controlling file would be (doSomething_bandits/cars.sqf?). I'm guessing I'm just missing something here? It looks like it just checks if there are 2 bandits within some distance, then if not, spawns one between 400m up to 1km? So if I lowered the check from 2 to 1, would it just keep spawning them the second one dies in high spawn rate areas like the airport?

Sorry for the wall of text, tired and trying to type isn't a good mix for me

[...]

I think it's a trigger issue rather than a problem with the scripts. What happened is that you crossed several times the limits of the trigger zone, spawning multiple bandits. The trigger in NWAF spawns bandits and bandit squads - wich is why you had so many.
I'm going to re-size the trigger area to prevent this from happening again - it should be 6 bandits max in this location (one squad and three loners); should be more manageable.
I'll also change the patrol cars spawns to be more frequent.

Thanks for reporting those issues - I don't have time to actually play, so this kind of feedback greatly helps to enhance this mod!

Re: Possible to remove zombies?

Acid44
Ah, that would make sense. I was running around quite a bit, and once I had a car running I pretty much raced for the airport as fast as I could.

I'm not sure how many bandits there were at the most at one time, didn't have much time to count, lol, but when I gave up there were a lot of bodies.

Re: Possible to remove zombies?

malau
If and when anyone gets DayZai working with no zeds and increased AI patrols, can they share the relevant recompiled PBO's via a file sharing site so we can all use them ?

Re: Possible to remove zombies?

Acid44
No increased car patrols yet, but here's no zeds. Not sure if I changed anything in the mission file, so I included that too.

Install DaiZy Factions, then overwrite with these files.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35400504/No%20Zombies.rar

Re: Possible to remove zombies?

Neofit
First of all, thanks a lot for porting the mission to SP.

My experience with Dayz is a few months up to last summer playing the Epoch and Origins mods. I know zombies in 2018 have been dumbed down, I don't have a problem with this. I even removed them and thanks for the hints above. The NPCs are weird though, definitely not like the regular Arma and DayZ NPCs. They've been made easier too? The best thing about Arma and affiliates is the long range firefights. The NPCs in 2018 don't see me past 50m, I can get close enough to "snipe" them with a shotgun or a handgun before they react. There was even one at the end of the Cherno pier with a Dragunov, I ran up to 20m from him and he didn't shoot me. I tried the "getpos player" trick above, they started spawning ontop of me, yet a couple of bandits (according to the journal after I shot them) ran past me 5 meters away without reacting.

Also, I am way more resistant than in Arma/DayZ too, I can absorb a truckload of bullets before losing consciousness. Is this normal? Any way to "de-COD" 2018? ;)

Re: Possible to remove zombies?

Acid44
No idea about that. I have the opposite problem in regular DaiZy minus zombies. The AI are smarter than me and I die in just a few shots. Maybe just look at the differences in 2018 and DaiZy codes and try some stuff?