Any thoughts on expanding the forum?

wb

Any thoughts on expanding the forum?

wb
I remember kodabar wanted to see if this forum kicked off and I think its getting a bit cluttered with the help topics. Expanding to a board would help manage the threads and we could have sections like Help/Support, Releases, Suggestions, News, General Chat with stories etc, maybe a section for LAN servers when its a bit more stable etc.

I think we might have enough content to start a real forum and Im sure a few members would help moderate to keep things tidy. Kodabar might even be able to install it on "kodabar.blogspot.co.uk/forums" to keep it on the same domain, not sure how blogspot works.

Was just thinking this single player mod and community is only growing and might be easier to manage on a proper board.

What do you think?

Re: Any thoughts on expanding the forum?

kodabar
Administrator
Yes, I'd be very interested in people's thoughts too. This sort-of forum can be split into sub-forums. Certainly the number of topics is getting to the point where sub-forums are going to be necessary.

There is already a direct link of sorts to the forum:
http://kodabar.blogspot.co.uk/p/dayz-single-player-forum.html

I'm somewhat reluctant to push this at the moment as I don't know what Rocket's plans are. He was jolly keen on the idea of a single player mode and initially had Kronzky on-board to make sure that it kept step with DayZ releases. After the falling out, I haven't really heard him mention single player, so I'm curious as to whether it will be included in the alpha release of the DayZ standalone (currently due in November).

So my concern is that pushing this single player version may end up clashing with Rocket's plans and I don't want to piss on his chips (as we say here in jolly old England). Accordingly, I haven't publicised the existence of all this at all.

I chose the Nabble forum thing as it was something I thought could be embedded into a page. It's undoubtedly less flexible than a fully-featured forum, but it's done the job until now. It does carry adverts though (and not ones from which I benefit) although these haven't kicked in yet. If they're too intrusive, it may be time to bin Nabble and move to something else.

What would everyone else like to see? I'm happy to start up a fuller forum if people would like. I've had a number of people approach me to offer help and it'd be nice to have some of them help manage the forum. I try to read everything and reply where I can at the moment, but it's surprising how much time all this takes up. I don't actually get to play DayZ/DaiZy very much (aside from testing) at the moment...

Re: Any thoughts on expanding the forum?

DayZ_SP
I agree with Kodabar.

DayZ & DaiyZ are great mods... But I think we should wait and see what the stand alone (retail) brings.

We know the impending release of the stand alone will be an Alpha just like the current ArmA 2 mod, but hopefully it will have a lot more features and flexibility than we currently have. Everybody is speculating what engine it will be on and if it is the new ArmA 3 engine then it makes no sense to continue to develop "DaiyZ" or any other DayZ SP variants because a new engine will make this an outdated mod in every sense of the word.

If it is on a modified ArmA 2 engine, then future development should continue since it will probably be more or less what we have now in terms of scripting and mission / map editing.

So, I would suggest waiting and see what happens... This includes expanding the forums... Because it's not clear what kind of development road map the mod is going to be on, yet.

Re: Any thoughts on expanding the forum?

Mr. 'funny'
I read somewhere that it was going be using the same engine as Take On Helicopters which use the Real Virtuality 3 engine. I'd post a link if I remember where I had read it.

Re: Any thoughts on expanding the forum?

kodabar
Administrator
Apparently it will use version 4 of that engine, just like ArmA 3

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/64091-dayz-standalone-will-use-real-virtuality-4-engine/

Re: Any thoughts on expanding the forum?

DayZ_SP
Well, the days -- no pun intended -- For this mod (of a mod!) are definitely numbered.

They always have been, but Kodabar confirms it with the forum link he posted that has other third-party interviews and sources, too.

Honestly, while Day Z is a great concept... both SP and MP... It's a terrible execution at this point not just because it is an Alpha, but because the engine it runs on is so outdated performance-wise.  The performance is terrible for what you get in terms of graphics and features. At least in Day Z. Normal ArmA 2 and its expansions run flawlessly, but that's the point.

The good news is it made me get back into ArmA (military sim) itself, and by researching ways to improve DaiyZ for my own amusement, I've discovered how to do things with vanilla ArmA 2 I never would have thought of like... Learning basic scripting and content creation.

So, it's not all bad

I want to personally thank Kodabar, Unknown and anybody else whose tireless work helped make DaiyZ a great addition and alternative to normal Dayz. You guys (gals?) put in a lot of work... Literally; I decomplied the maps and saw how many new functions you added... And I just wish it had more of a future on the current platform. I also wish SP was officially supported by the larger DayZ community because it's a shame all of the hard work and innovation put into DaiyZ will never be known beyond the small crowd at this forum, unfortunately.